Monday, April 16, 2007

Last day of the rest of my life. I wish I would have known cause I'd have kissed my momma good-bye.

It's interesting how things can change your perspective. About half an hour ago I was semi-rejoicing over the fact that I finished my last final exam and don't have to think about school for the next 4 months or so (I say semi cause I'm a bit worried about how I did :S ). I then go on the net and find out that 31 university students were killed this morning. It's a rather frightening and depressing thought that someone like me was at that university, possibly studying for one of their final exams or working on a report and suddenly is shot dead.
What drives people to go and kill people like that? It doesn't make sense to me at all. I guess on the reverse side, what makes it wrong to do that if there are no moral absolutes? Who determines what is right and what is wrong if all morals can be questioned? From an athiest/evolutionary perspective, we're all just animals anyway and our only purpose is to keep our species alive by producing offspring which, according to ecologists, we're doing too well and acctually hitting a point where we're over populating the earth. So is this evolutions way of controlling the population by breeding murderers along with those who are unable to reproduce whether by some genetic mutation or because they have decided that their orientation causes them to be unable to reproduce?
So back to moral absolutes, I've pretty much been told since my teen years that there are no moral absolutes. So, does that mean war isn't wrong since who has the authority to say that it is or isn't wrong especially since, according to evolutionary science, there is no God. What about terrorist attacks and stealing? Aside from making us scared and uncomfortable, what makes it morally wrong if nothing is absolute? When people do those things, isn't it morally correct to them? Do we as individuals and as a group have any right to say whether what someone did was wrong or not?
Another tangent, should we bother interfering with things that happen in other coutries that are war torn and having genocides? Should we help people who are starving to death because of a famine? Isn't it natures course and isn't it a possible way that evolution is using to control the amount of people on earth? According to black ecologists, 2/3 of the world population needs to die for the human population to be at the optimum size for the earth to support it.
Anyway, now that I've probably got several people angry at me, I'll just clarify that these were thoughts that have been going through my mind and don't necessarily reflect my personal beliefs, however, I'd be interested if anyone had any answers to the questions that I have posed without using any sort of religion to justify there answer (as I continue to sink deeper into the boiling pot).
For once, the song title does somewhat relate to the post unlike in the previous posts. Don't get to use to it though :D.

No comments: