Monday, January 01, 2007

The New Year!


First of all, Happy New Year to everyone! No matter how dismal my following post is, I feel I should start it on a high note and then I will go down hill from there. So, the new year is upon us and I was thinking last night why do we get so excited and throw a party for the new year? Is it the thought that we start out with a clean slate at the beginning of the year and things are going to be all changed and great when we go back to work or school? And if this is the case, how come so many people bring in the new year by getting drunk. While it feels fun at the time, you look like a total looser when you get drunk plus you're ruining your liver; not that I've ever gotten drunk but when watching people get drunk, this is what I see and I can't understand what stupidity has entered their head to make themselves act like idiots. Besides doesn't bringing in the new year drunk kind of ruin the whole "new beginning" thing? Okay, enough of my rant on drinking.
So, why is it that people get so excited and party during New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and fill their heads with hopeless optimism? Is that what keeps them going in their miserable world; thinking that this year will be better than the last year and that they are going to improve themselves by making useless resolutions that they never keep and then they end up finding the year horrible and go through the cycle again when the next new year comes? Or is the whole celebration of the new year something more that I haven't grasped yet?
I'm really not in as dark of a mood as this blog suggests; I'm just in thinking mode and trying to get away from doing some school work that I should work on but don't really want to start until school starts up again though I know it will give me more free time in the end and I won't feel as rushed. I'm also trying to get away from reading a couple of books. I've finished one out of the 3 and have now changed my goal to finishing the other 2 by the end of the month. Whether that happens or not, we shall see. I suppose I should consider that my New Year's resolution since it's somewhat achievable.

2 comments:

Megha said...

it's always nice to be in a depressed, pessimistic mood over the holidays, while everyone else is celebrating :P

Mir said...

Just keeping things in perspective ;). There is no such thing as pessimism; just being realistic :P